Cook Cottage Memorial Garden

The Cook family home on Bridge street was built by James' father in 1755. The cottage was dismantled in 1934 to be shipped to Australia.  Each stone was numbered so that the cottage could be reconstructed exactly in its new home in the Fitzroy Gardens in Melbourne.  A granite obelisk standing in the memorial garden now marks the original site of the cottage in Great Ayton. The obelisk is constructed from granite taken from Point Hicks, the first land sighted by Cook in Australia.  The Fitzroy Garden  website has further information about the history of the cottage and it's sale and transportation to Australia.

Please visit https://www.captcook-greatayton.com/ for further information about the Cook Cottage Memorial Garden and Captain Cook's links to Great Ayton and the surrounding areas.